The commission in charge of Egypt’s presidential election on Saturday disqualified 10 of the 23 candidates vying for the top job in next month’s election.
“The commission has disqualified candidates because they do not fill one or more of the required conditions,” the electoral body said in a statement without providing any names.
The head of the committee will inform the candidates barred from running in the election next month and they will be allowed to appeal the decision, the statement said.
A total of 23 candidates have registered for Egypt’s first presidential election since the toppling of veteran strongman Hosni Mubarak in a massive uprising last year.
The candidates include former Arab League chief Amr Mussa, ultra-conservative Islamist preacher Hazem Abu Ismail, the Muslim Brotherhood’s Khairat El-Shater, former Brotherhood member Abdel Moneim Abul Fotouhand Mubarak’s last prime minister, Ahmed Shafiq.
Former intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, a stalwart of the Mubarak regime and seen as close to the ruling military, registered less than half an hour before registration closed on April 8.
Egypt’s Islamist-dominated parliament on Thursday approved a bill that would ban members of Mubarak’s regime from standing for public office, but it needs the support of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces to become law.
Last week an Egyptian court cleared the way for Abu Ismail to join the race after ruling that his mother was not a US citizen.
Under the country’s electoral law, all candidates for the presidency, their parents and their wives must have only Egyptian citizenship.
The election is due to take place May 23-25.